Late again, I know…
This week’s List It Tuesday over on Artsyville was “Room Changes”, quick and easy fixes to spruce up each room in your home. It actually reminded me of a “List It Tuesday” from October 2010 I did on New Home Projects.
Back then I had big plans and lots I wanted to do with the house, so for this week’s list, I thought I’d check in on that list and see how we’re doing.
- Outside, Garage, Mudroom: Storage unit is gone, the gates are replaced, the jungle tamed, old landscaping and yard light removed, trees are replaced, the grass is green once again, busted up shed is shitcanned, oak tree is trimmed, pool is no longer a scary green swamp, pool fence is in place, old screen cage frame removed, the fence and lanai look brand new after pressure washing, and the ants are no longer invading. Plans to move the air handler didn’t work out so doors were added to the mudroom area and the washer and dryer moved inside from the garage. STILL TO DO: Repaint the front doors.
- Master Bedroom and Bath: Missing vents replaced, closet door installed, rooms painted. STILL TO DO: Replace light fixtures.
- Kitchen: Diddly squat. STILL TO DO: Everything.
- Living Room: Painted wallpaper removed and walls painted, including the beaded board. STILL TO DO: Ditch the carpet, move/replace the ceiling fans.
- My Studio/Office: Skipped putting closet doors in and just added shelves, painted. STILL TO DO: Put in a window or add some more light, replace carpet with flooring.
- Hall Bath: Repainted over the purple and removed the shower doors. STILL TO DO: Nothing. The only room in the house to hold this honor.
- Jack’s Room: Closet shelves installed, walls painted. STILL TO DO: Get rid of carpet.
NOTE: This is just an update to the list I made 2 1/2 years ago, and apparently we’re kicking ass on the outside projects. However, this list does not include the projects and plans we’ve since added, like building planter boxes for fruit & veggie gardening, widening the driveway & redoing the sidewalk, remodeling our bathroom, adding sliding barn doors to our bedroom closet and bath, or getting rid of ALL the carpet in the house (Kid + Pets + Pool) + Carpet = Pain the ass to keep clean.
When you own a home, projects come with the territory I suppose. And until I can afford to hire someone to handle it all, we’ll just keep plugging away, bit by bit. I remember my husband predicting when we moved in that it’d take five years to get the house where we wanted it.
I scoffed. But now it looks like he’s right.
We don’t have to tell him I admitted that to you all though.